OUR COMPREHENSIVE SERVICES
It's good to know the signs of gum disease to be aware when it's time to alert your dentist. Here are some common symptoms:
- Tender gums that bleed easily when you brush
- Bad breath that does not go away after keeping up with regular brushing, flossing, and use of mouthwash
- Gums that are pulling away from your teeth
- Gums oozing pus around your teeth
- Loose or separating teeth
- A noticeable change in the fit of your partial denture
Periodontal disease causes swelling, soreness, and infection in the gums surrounding and the bone supporting your teeth. Bacteria cause this condition when plaque builds up between your gums and teeth overtime when you have not adequately flossed, brushed, and received professional dental cleanings. The infected gums caused by this disease can pull away and cause pockets around your teeth. These pockets continue to collect damaging bacteria. If your gums and bone are no longer supporting your teeth, they may fall out or become loose.
At Star Smiles, we are well-versed in periodontal disease's connection with heart attacks and strokes. Therefore, we make treating and preventing this disease one if our highest priorities. If you smoke or chew tobacco, you have a higher risk of developing gum disease. You are also at a higher risk if you have conditions like diabetes, blood cell disorders, and HIV/AIDS. Just like oral cancer, the earlier we catch gum disease, the easier it is to treat and the more likely you are to recover.